I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, about to move to Charleston, SC to go to pharmacy school for the next four years. Join me on my adventure through life as an undergrad/grad student living and loving the southern life.


"And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them..." -Jeremiah 32:39



Monday, May 24, 2010

Thank-You Notes

I have written many thank-you notes over the past few years. I wrote quite a chunk just after graduating from high school, after many birthdays, and have another round of thank-you notes under my belt after graduating from college a few weeks ago.


In the days of computers and e-mails and BlackBerrys and what-have-you, I think that thank you notes and hand-written notes have become less and less common. But I think that knowing that a person took time to write any kind of note (thank you, just to say hi, anything) is very special and not outdated at all!


With that in mind, I thought I would go through how to write a thank-you note!


Here are six easy points to remember:


  1. GREET THE GIVER
    Dear Grandma........
    Acknowledge the person(s) to whom you are writing the note. Who doesn't love to hear their own name?
  2. EXPRESS YOUR GRATITUDE
    Thank you for the fur coat that you gave to me for my birthday.
    Mention what you were given here.
  3. DISCUSS USE
    The winters in Charleston are very cold, so I will wear it a lot when winter comes this year.
    Say something nice about what you were given and how you will use it.
  4. MENTION THE PAST, ALLUDE TO THE FUTUREIt was great to see you at my birthday party, and I hope to see you again soon.
    If it’s someone you see infrequently, say whatever you know: ‘Mom tells me you’re doing great at Stanford, and I hope we cross paths soon.’ If it’s someone you’re in regular contact with: ‘I’ll call you soon, but I wanted to take time to say thanks.’ If it’s some errant family member you have little or no contact with, simply go with ‘You are in my thoughts and I hope you are well.’
  5. GRACE
    Thanks again for your gift.
    It never hurts to say thank you again!
  6. REGARDSLove,
    Tonya
    Keep it simple. Wrap it up.
Other tips:
  • Use a blue- or black-ink pen!
  • HAND WRITE your notes!
  • Do not include any news about your life. The thank-you is exclusively about thanking somebody for their kindness.
Information from http://www.themorningnews.org/ - "How to Write a Thank You Letter" by writer Leslie Harpold.
Site: http://www.themorningnews.org/archives/how_to/how_to_write_a_thankyou_note.php

1 comment:

  1. Love your "thank-you note" post. I wish more people knew that saying "thank you" for an act of kindness is not an option! I laughed about the 'winters in Charleston being cold'!

    ReplyDelete