I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, about to move to Charleston, SC to go to pharmacy school for the next four years. Join me on my adventure through life as an undergrad/grad student living and loving the southern life.


"And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them..." -Jeremiah 32:39



Friday, May 28, 2010

Costa Rica reflections

Studying abroad in Costa Rica last fall was hands down the most incredible and life-changing experience in my short life thus far. I think about my time there every single day - the people, the places I visited, the delicious food - and long to go back.

I've been thinking a lot about why this experience was so memorable to me and why it was so incredible. Here are some reasons that I have come up with:
  1. I was daily seeking the Lord and His will by spending time studying, praying, reading, and thinking. Every morning I woke up and before I ate breakfast, I spent some time reading a devotion. I would write the main verse down and the main points from it, and then I would jot down my own thoughts and interpretation. I was evaluating, changing, and growing daily. The more time I gave to this and the more I devoted my heart and attention to it, the more aware I was of the Lord working powerfully in my life and helping me along the way. Throughout my life I would say that I have put time into having quality devotions and quiet times, but moreso in Costa Rica than any other time, I poured my heart and soul into it each day. It made such a difference, and it made me more aware of the Lord's presence everywhere.
  2. I lived every single day without regrets. I seized nearly every opportunity thrown at me, looking for ways to see more and do more and learn more. And it definitely paid off. I had such an enriching and full experience, and I have no regrets. When there was doubt or uncertainty, I fought my hardest against the desire to be lazy and complacent and looked for and found more.
  3. The Lord gave me amazing friends and an amazing host family. At the University, at home, and around town, I made friends, made connections, looking to create, build, and maintain relationships with so many people. I invested time in these people, and they invested time and love into me as well. When I think about all the incredible things that I was able to do, I realize that everything was so incredible because of the people around me. I met so many different people from all kinds of backgrounds, of different beliefs, and each of these people taught me different things about myself and about life in general.
  4. I was out of my comfort zone, away from my family and friends and my home and school, in a completely new environment. My limits were tested, my environment and surrounding culture was changed, and I learned to adapt and change as well. Being away and being alone taught me how much I need God. This may perhaps be the most important lesson I learned while living in Costa Rica. I depended on Him every single day. Depending solely on the Lord helped me to recognize his power and his love and his sovereignty more than I ever have before.
  5. While in Costa Rica, I had no job and no cell phone. No organization meetings, no big expenditures. I lived a basic and simple life. And I loved it. I experienced so much less stress than I normally do. And I could tell a huge difference - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. My face cleared up so much. I wasn't always concerned about huge tests or assignments or having to go to work or do the things that my normal day-to-day life requires. Food was always prepared for me. My laundry was done for me. All I really had to do was go to school during the week and travel and play on the weekends. I loved it!
Re-adjusting to my own culture and lifestyle that I have had for the past 20-something years has been so difficult, and sometimes I still do not think that I have completely re-adjusted. I know I shouldn't do this, but I compare many different aspects of my life to Costa Rica and think of how wonderful life was there. I long to go back daily. Don't get me wrong though, I do love being home, with my family and old friends, doing many things that have always been a part of my life.

And sometimes I wonder if I will ever have experiences that are equally as wonderful as that experience in Costa Rica was? Was that the pinnacle of the experiences that I am to have? Is there more left to be seen and done?

I am beginning to realize that though I may not be able to completely repeat my Costa Rica dream life, I still serve a God who is able to give and show me more than I could ever dare to ask for or imagine (John 10:10). My prayer is that the Lord would give me the strength and willpower to serve him fervently and seek His will in such a way that my life becomes like the Costa Rican experience every day- no regrets, no looking back, full of joy, and unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment