I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, about to move to Charleston, SC to go to pharmacy school for the next four years. Join me on my adventure through life as an undergrad/grad student living and loving the southern life.


"And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them..." -Jeremiah 32:39



Friday, June 4, 2010

What will it take....

....to hear God?

I can't say that I have this completely figured out, but for me, this is what it takes:

  • TURNING OFF THE COMPUTER: This I struggle with. Whenever I am looking for a distraction or am just bored, I check my e-mail or Facebook or look for something on eBay. I often just leave me computer on with the e-mail window minimized so that if a new e-mail comes, I can open it and read it at a moment's notice. Today I am counting the number of times I check my e-mail, and I am afraid of how high that number is going to be.
  • NOT STAYING ON THE PHONE: This has become a lot easier since I went to Costa Rica. While there, I did not have a cell phone. My only means of local communication was the house phone. My phone wasn't always in my pocket, and to be completely honest, it was so nice. Don't get me wrong, I love to text or use BlackBerry Messenger, but it's pretty liberating to not have a phone and to not be responsible for every message, call, or e-mail that goes to it.
  • APPRECIATING TIME ALONE WITH MY THOUGHTS: I thrive in busy-ness. I feel like I am at my best. I had a better GPA during a semester when I had 27 hours (3.8) as opposed to a semester when I had 16 (3.1) - not saying that anyone should try to take a load of hours or more than you can handle - I just had to do it to graduate. I love to work, to have things to do. But I tend to avoid alone time and the quiet because I don't want to be alone with my thoughts. But I think think that this is very necessary if we are to do some self-examining and reflection and talking to God.
  • SPENDING TIME WITH OTHER BELIEVERS: Sure, there are times when we may be "alone," like if you are the only Christian in your office or in your home. But quality time with other believers who challenge you and hold you accountable is in my opinion so crucial to living the life God wants you to live. We each need support and encouragement, accountability and challenges. Love itself is based on relationships, and if we are to love God and love others, we need to spend time talking with those people who also love the Lord.
What does it take for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment