I am a proud Clemson Tiger, born and raised in the south, lover of all things pink, orange, and preppy, fan of college football and basketball, preacher's kid, daugher and sister in a loving family of 4, talk with a southern accent, hoping to be a pharmacist, college senior, about to move to Charleston, SC to go to pharmacy school for the next four years. Join me on my adventure through life as an undergrad/grad student living and loving the southern life.


"And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them..." -Jeremiah 32:39



Thursday, April 8, 2010

Love as a Way of Life

I came across this book by Gary Chapman (author of one of my favorite books, The Five Love Languages) in Ross for only $3.99! I couldn't pass it up - hardback book AND in excellent condition! I began reading through it last weekend while at home for Easter and feel very challenged by a lot of things I have read so far, and I have barely gotten past the introduction! The book basically focuses on seven characteristics to loving relationships. I would give a brief summary of what I have read so far, but I have decided instead to post some (direct) quotes, listed below:


  • "I believe it is the common person like you or me who holds the key to creating a world in which relationships are valued above all else, in which serving others is normal and expected, in which children grow up to respect each other...This is not an impossible dream." - xiv
  • "Today is the day to turn your life in a positive direction." - 4
  • "My own definition of success is 'leaving your corner of the world better than you found it.'" - 4
  • "Whatever your sphere of influence, when you are seeking to enrich the lives of others through relationships, you will find the most satisfying form of success." - 4
  • "The truth is, you are made for relationships." - 4
  • "When we love others because we value them as individuals, we experience a joy unlike any other." - 4
  • "The key to finding joy in loving others is to focus on giving love, not on getting it." - 4
  • "Love is not an emotion that comes over us or an elusive goal dependent on the actions of others. Authentic love is something within our capabilities, originating in our attitudes and culminating in our actions. If we think of love as a feeling, we shall be frustrated when we can't always work up that feeling. When we realize love is primarily an action, we are ready to use the tools we have to love better." - 6
  • "Authentic love brings out our authentic selves - the people we want to become." - 7
  • "Sometimes it is in the midst of difficulty that we find our greatest opportunities to experience and share love. One of the beautiful things about living a love-filled life is that we are not dependent on circumstances for our satisfaction." - 8
  • "...love is an attitude that says 'I choose to focus my life on helping others.'" - 8
  • "If you truly want to love someone, begin in small ways." - 9
  • "Our role is to open our hearts and minds daily to receive love and to look for opportunities to share it with others." - 10
Whew! I already feel like there are so many things to think about and work on and I have only made it through the first chapter! The book goes on into detail with each of the seven characteristics to explain them, make them practical, and help the reader find ways to improve that quality of his/her personality.


The seven characteristics are:
  1. Kindness
  2. Patience
  3. Forgiveness
  4. Courtesy
  5. Humility
  6. Generosity
  7. Honest

No comments:

Post a Comment